An official high school transcript indicating passing scores on the Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS) test and the date of graduation must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records prior to registration.


Applicants who did not graduate from high school may be admitted by successfully completing the English version of the General Education Development Testing Program (GED). A copy of the official GED scores must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records. Students who have completed the GED in a language other than English may be admitted to the College, but are limited to enrollment in English as a Second Language (ESL) coursework to enable them to make use of already existing knowledge, training, or skills. Admission to other programs and courses requires completion of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a minimum score of 500 on the paper exam or a 173 on the computerized exam. A copy of these scores must be submitted prior to registration for other than ESL coursework.


Students without a high school diploma or GED are strongly encouraged to complete their GED prior to applying to South Texas College .
Students, however, who do not qualify for admission under either of the above conditions may be considered for conditional acceptance if they are at least 18 years of age and can provide test results from the TSI Assessment, ASSET, COMPASS, ACT, or SAT prior to enrollment. All applicants must submit an official transcript from the last high school attended prior to enrollment and will be placed under scholastic probation for the initial semester of enrollment. Course selection and load may be restricted. Federal legislation requires that a student admitted under provisions such as these pass a designated "Ability to Benefit" exam (ACCUPLACER) to be eligible to receive financial aid.


Transfer students must comply with the Standards of Scholastic Progress.

The following conditions apply regarding transfer from another college:

1. An official transcript from each institution previously attended must be submitted to the Office of Admissions and Records.

2. All new transfer students who have declared a major and are seeking a degree will have their transcripts evaluated on a course-by-course basis and appropriate credit will be awarded. The student will then be notified by mail, within their first semester, of courses that transferred.

3. Credit for courses in which a passing grade of "C" or higher was earned may be transferred from any college accredited through one of the regional accrediting associations of the Association of Colleges and Schools. Developmental, or other non-degree credit courses are not transferable and may not be used in the calculation of the transfer grade point average.

4. Credits completed at colleges outside the United States that are not accredited by one of the regional accrediting associations of the Association of Colleges and Schools should be evaluated by an American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (AACRAO) approved transcript evaluating service. A list of such services is available: TOEFL may be required of students graduating from a college in a country where English is not the native language.

5. An applicant for admission may seek to enter this institution pursuant the state's "academic fresh start" statute, Texas Education Code, Chapter 51, Sec. 51.931. If the applicant informs the Office of Admissions and Records in writing of his or her election under this statute, the institution will not grant academic course credits or grades earned by the applicant 10 or more years prior to the starting date of the semester in which the applicant seeks to enroll. An applicant who makes the election to apply under this statute cannot receive any course credit courses taken 10 or more years prior to enrollment.


Dual enrollment allows 11 th and 12 th grade students to enroll in college courses while attending high school and permits students to take courses in place of, or in addition to, the normal course load at high school. High school students must be approved to participate in dual enrollment by the students' high school. In addition, high school students admitted to the College must meet the same requirements as all other admitted students. High School credit may be earned with the approval of the principal. College credit may be earned upon successful completion of the course. The Dual Enrollment Student Data form is available at the Office of Admissions and Records.