Upward Bound provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in pre-college performance and ultimately in higher education pursuits.
Upward Bound serves high school students from low-income families and high school students from families in which neither parent holds a bachelor's degree. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rates at which participants enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
All Upward Bound projects MUST provide instruction in math, laboratory science, composition, literature, and foreign language. Other services include:
- Instruction in reading, writing, study skills, and other subjects necessary for success in education beyond high school.
- Academic, financial, or personal counseling.
- Exposure to academic programs and cultural events.
- Tutorial services.
- Mentoring programs.
- Information on postsecondary education opportunities.
- Assistance in completing college entrance and financial aid applications.
- Assistance in preparing for college entrance exams.
- Work study positions to expose participants to careers requiring a postsecondary degree.
The STC Upward Bound Program serves approximately 75 students annually from Roma, Rio Grande City and La Grulla High Schools.
For questions or to find out how you can become part of this program please call 956-716-4735.