Student Records

Change of Address
Change of Name
Confidentiality of Records
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act
Directory Information

Change of Address

Students' current mailing and permanent address must be correctly listed on college records. Any changes in the mailing address should be promptly reported to the Office of Admissions and Records and a change of information form completed. Students will not be excused from penalties on grounds of not receiving communications mailed from the College if the new address was not reported.

Change of Name

College records of students' names are based upon the Student Data Form. Subsequent changes of name and address should be promptly reported to the Office of Admissions and Records. Students may change the full, legal name on their permanent academic records by providing appropriate documentation and completing a change of information form in the Office of Admissions and Records.

Confidentiality of Records

It is the policy of South Texas College to maintain confidentiality of its students' educational records and to be in compliance with the provisions of all federal and state laws governing the release of student educational records.

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act and the Texas Open Records Act are respectively a federal and state law that provide for the review and disclosure of student educational records. Individuals are informed of their rights under these laws through this policy. In accordance with these laws, STC has adopted the following policy.

STC will not permit access to or the release of personally identifiable information contained in student education records to any party without the written consent of the student except as follows:

1. To appropriate STC officials who require access to educational records in order to perform their legitimate educational duties/interest.

"Legitimate educational interests' means (1) the information or records requested is relevant and necessary to accomplishment of some task or determination; and (2) the task or determination is an employment responsibility for the inquirer or is a properly assigned subject manner for the inquirer's employment responsibility."

2. To officials of other schools in which the student seeks or intends to enroll, upon request of these officials, and upon the condition that the student be notified and receive a copy of the record if desired;

3. To federal, state, or local officials or agencies authorized by law;

4. In connection with a student's application for, or receipt of, financial aid;

5. To accrediting organizations or organizations conducting educational studies, provided that
these organizations do not release personally identifiable data;

6. To the parents of a dependent student as defined in section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1954, provided a reasonable effort is made to notify the student in advance.

As permitted under section 99.34 (a)(1)(ii) of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended, and upon the request of The University of Texas-Pan American (UT-Pan Am), South Texas College will forward educational records to UT-Pan Am for students who seek or intend to enroll at UT-Pan Am.

Directory Information

At its discretion, STC may release information which shall include:

  • Name, address, telephone number
  • Date and place of birth
  • Major field of study
  • Participation in officially recognized sports and activities
  • Dates of attendance
  • Most recent previous educational institution(s) attended
  • Classification
  • Degrees and awards received
  • Date of graduation

    Students may withhold information by notifying the Office of Admissions and Records in writing each semester during the first 12 days of class of a fall or spring semester, or the first four class days of a summer semester. Request for nondisclosure will be honored by the institution for only the current enrollment period; therefore, a request to withhold information must be filed each semester or term in the Office of Admissions and Records.
back to top