disAbility Support - F.A.Q.

Who can I contact for accommodations at South Texas College ?

Each campus has a Counseling/Disability Support Office contact person and you can contact them at the following phone numbers.

Pecan Campus
(956) 872-2173

Mid-Valley Campus
(956) 872-1229

Starr County Campus
(956) 488-5853

Nursing Allied Health Campus
(956) 872-3077

Technology Campus
(956) 872-6125

What is considered a disability?

South Texas College uses the American with Disabilities Act ( ADA ) as a guide to define disability. According to the Americans with Disabilities Act, a person with a disability is one who:

  1. has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits a major life activity;
  2. has a record or history of such an impairment; or
  3. is regarded as having such an impairment by an appropriate expert.

Major life activities include, but are not limited to, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, caring for oneself, and performing manual tasks.

These impairments may be present among people with learning disabilities, emotional disturbances, chronic health impairments, attention deficit disorder, diabetes, asthma, physical disabilities, vision, speech, or hearing impairments, or other conditions.

What accommodations (services) are available?

The Office of Disability Support Services provides a wide variety of accommodations for students. A list can be obtained from the DSS office. The following is an example of some of the accommodations but it is not limited to this list.

  • Lecture Notes
  • Extended Time For Test
  • Separate Test Site
  • NCR Paper
  • Sign Language Interpreter
  • Alternative Test Format
  • Recorder
  • JAWS
  • Zoom Text
  • CCTV
  • Table and Chair
  • Stools
  • Podium
  • Counseling
  • Front/Center Seating
  • Registration Assistance

Accmmodations will be provided by the counselor depending on the needs of each individual student.

What is a reasonable accommodation?

A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a course, program, service, job, activity, or facility that enables a qualified individual with a disability to have an equal opportunity to attain the same level of performance or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges as are available to an individual without a disability. Some common academic accommodations include but not limited to extended time on tests, use of peer note takers, use of computer with spell-check, and provision of sign language interpreters.

What documentation is needed before receiving accommodations?

A student is required to provide The Office of Disability Support Services with the necessary documentation from an appropriate expert that the disability exists before any classroom accommodation will be provided. This documentation must be current (within the last 3 years). In Salvador v. Bell , the Office for Civil Rights (OCR) ruled that the institution was under no obligation to provide accommodation for a student with a disability who fails to provide documentation of the disability (Jarrow, 1991).

The determination of whether an individual has a disability under ADA is not based upon the name or diagnosis of the impairment, but rather upon the impact of that impairment on the life of the individual.

How does a student request accommodation services?

A student must first complete the admissions process at STC. Students are responsible for submitting the following documentation to the Office of Admissions and Records:

  1. The Student Data Form and The Student Supplemental Form.
  2. Official Transcripts from one the following: High School, each college attended or GED scores (English Version)
  3. Test scores from one of the alternative exams: ACCUPLACER, ASSET, COMPASS, and/or THEA.

For certificate majors: Pre-TASP, THEA, ACT, or SAT.

After completing the admissions process students may come in to see a counselor at the campus the student will attend. Students are required to submit medical or supportive documentation of their disability when they come in. Accommodations and procedures for notifying the instructors are discussed with the student.

What is the cost for these services?

There is no cost to the student for these services .

How are Academic Accommodations Arranged?

The Office of Disability Support Services has established an early self-identification policy for students who anticipate needing any type of classroom and/or test accommodation. Students should meet with their instructor(s) in person the first day of class to discuss their need for disability accommodation. To help facilitate this dialogue, the Office of Disability Support Services provides students with accommodation memos that identify their academic accommodations and services each term. During the meeting, the student and the instructor should talk about the student's accommodation needs, establish how specified accommodations will be arranged throughout the semester, and explore any questions or concerns that either the student or the instructor have regarding the accommodation plan. Each semester , accommodations will become active as soon as students return the accommodation memo signed by each of their instructors to the Office of Disability Support Services.

How often must a student request services?

Planned services are provided based upon the requests of the student. Since different classes may require different accommodations it is important to look at a student's needs on a semester by semester basis. Services, therefore, must be requested at least once at the beginning of each semester or at the time a need is identified within a semester. Every semester students must pick up their accommodation memo at the Office of Disability Support Services.

Is special parking available?

Yes, special parking for students with disabilities is provided at each campus. You must have a STC disability parking sticker on your vehicle in order to use these parking spaces. Proof of disability is required for you to obtain a disability parking sticker. For more information contact the Facilities Department at (956) 668-6490

Does STC provide Attendant Care Services?

No, STC does not provide or arrange for personal attendant care but, STC will provide the student with a list of agencies that provide this service.