Attention Mission Residents:
- Have you been a Permanent Resident of the City of Mission, Texas for at least 2 or more consecutive years?
- Have you earned a high school diploma or GED?
- Do you plan to further your education by obtaining a Certificate, Associate, or Bachelors degree?
If you answered yes to these questions you may be eligible for a scholarship offered by the Mission Economic Development Authority (MEDA) in partnership with South Texas College. This scholarship is specific to permanent residents of the City of Mission and is available for full or part-time students.
- Be a US Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident
- Be a permanent resident of Mission, Texas
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Must have earned 6 credit hours at South Texas College prior to applying (including dual enrollment credits) and have a 2.5 cumulative GPA
- Must enroll at least part-time (6 credit hours) at South Texas College
- Advised to complete the 2016-2017 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Maintain a 2.5 cumulative GPA each semester
- Enroll in at least two semesters each year at least part-time
- Complete a minimum of 12 credit hours per year
- Remain in Good Standing with STC with respect to financial, academic, disciplinary, and honor code matters
- Maintain residence within the city limits of the City of Mission
- Read all directions and questions carefully.
- Type or print legibly.
- Ensure that your application packet is complete using the checklist.
Section 1- Include your primary email address; correspondence will be sent via email. Include both your permanent and physical address.
Section 2- Indicate whether you intend on enrolling as a part-time or full-time student.
Section 3- Indicate if you will be graduating in December or if fall will be your last semester.
Section 4- Do not forget that you must submit a personal statement along with your application.
Section 5- Read each statement carefully as it contains important information regarding your application. Your signature certifies that you have read the Certification and Release portion of the application and understand/accept all conditions.
Submit all required application materials before the July 1st deadline.
How are scholarship recipients selected?
All applications are reviewed to ensure that applicant meets the minimum scholarship criteria and are complete. These applications are then reviewed by a scholarship committee which may select students based on, but not limited to GPA, graduation date, and/or personal statement.
How will I know if I have been selected/awarded?
Selected applicants will be able to view their award posted on their JagNet account by mid to late August. Because of the high volume of applicants, South Texas College will not send regret notifications for non-selected applicants.
How will South Texas College communicate with me?
South Texas College will communicate via email and/or mail. In addition, students are advised to check their JagNet account to review their award if selected. It is important that you regularly check for correspondence during and after the processing/selection period.
Do I have to qualify for financial aid to receive this scholarship?
Although South Texas College may impose a "need" standard of evaluation if it deems appropriate, financial need will not be a requirement to award this scholarship. All applicants are advised to submit the 2015-2016 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
What are the renewal requirements for the scholarship?
Yes, please see the "Renewal Requirements" tab.
What can I provide as proof of residency within the City of Mission?
You may provide a document no more than 2 years old which shows your name and residential address. Proof of residency must be a non-STC document. Examples include:
- Utility or phone bill
- Voter registration card
- High School transcript
- Selective Service Registration Card
- W-2 form or Income Tax Return
- Auto/medical insurance card
Scholarship committee will determine whether address falls within the city limits of Mission.
Do I have to submit my application in person?
You have several options for submitting your application:
- Mail: South Texas College, Attn: Financial Aid, 3201 W Pecan Blvd, McAllen, TX 78501
- Fax: 956-872-6461
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you submit your application through any of these methods, be sure to keep copies of all application materials and proof of your submission.
If selected, how much can I receive?
The following are award programs for the MEDA scholarship:
- Part-Time Student Scholarship: Enrolled for a minimum of 6 credit hours during each semester for a maximum of 8 semesters.
- Full-Time: Enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours during each semester for a maximum of 4 semesters.
Do my dual enrollment hours count towards the 6 credit hour requirement?
Yes, if you have earned at least 6 credit hours through the South Texas College dual enrollment program, these credits may be used to satisfy the 6 credit hour requirement.
Application becomes available online or in person from the Office of Student Financial Services.
Scholarship committee will meet to review complete applications.
Mid to Late August
Selected applications will be able to view their award via JagNet. South Texas College will not send regret notifications.
- Complete Application
- Attach Personal Statement
- Copy of Permanent Resident Card (legal permanent residents only)
- Proof of City of Mission residency
- Submit 2016-2017 FAFSA