Apply for Financial Aid
Step 1: Gather Your Information
Dependent students are required to provide parental information on their FAFSA and independent students are not. Not sure you if you are a dependent or independent student? Complete the Dependency Status Worksheet to find out.
Here is a list of documents you will need:
- Your Social Security card (and your parents', if dependent)
- Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)
- Your (and your spouse's, if married) Income Tax Return
- Your Parents' Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
- Your W-2 forms and other records of money earned
- Any untaxed income records including child support paid or received
- Your current bank statements
- Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
Step 2: Submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available online at http://www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Applications for each fall semester become available as soon as January 1st of every year. We encourage you to apply as soon as you and/or your parents have completed your/their income tax return(s). Applicants also have the option to fill out and mail a FAFSA to the U. S. Department of Education, although we strongly recommend completing your application online. Financial aid computer labs are available at three locations (Pecan, Mid-Valley and Starr County Campuses) to assist students with the application process. Please see our contact information for office locations and lab hours.
Step 3: Logon to JagNet to Find Your Status
If you completed your FAFSA online, your application will be processed as long as you (and your parents) have signed the application with a FSA User ID or submitted a signature page. If your application has all required FSA User ID signatures, STC will receive your application from the U.S. Department of Education within three to five working days. If you were required to submit a signature page, STC will receive your application in approximately four weeks. After that time, please check your status online or visit our office.
We strongly encourage all students to apply as early as possible to avoid delays in payment of tuition/fees.
Our Recommended Priority Dates are:
- March 31st for Fall semester
- October 1st for Spring semester
Please note that our financial aid award year is as follows: Fall, Spring, and Summer. There is a deadline set forth by Department of Education of June 30, for the ending award year. Please visit any of our offices for additional information.