When a Student Fails to Earn at Least One Passing Grade

As per U. S. Department of Education, students who do not earn at least one passing grade per semester/period, are considered to have withdrawn from school. For example: if a student attempts three courses, withdraws from one course with a “W” and earns “Fs” for the other two courses, or if he or she earns all “Fs” the Student Financial Services Office must assume that the student withdrew from school. The Student Financial Services Office is required to re-calculate their eligibility and remove some of the financial aid funds that were disbursed on their student account. In most cases, students will end up owing South Texas College hundreds of dollars.

At South Texas College, the withdrawal date for students who do not earn at least on passing grade is the 50 percent point of the semester/period, if a last date of attendance was not provided by any of the instructors. If a last date of attendance was provided by at least one instructor, we will use the latest date of attendance to calculate the days completed and divide that, by the total days in the semester or payment period. The result will be the Earned Percentage that we will use to recalculate eligibility; examples are at: https://studentservices.southtexascollege.edu/finaid/withdrawals.html.

For students in this situation, the only relief available is related to the date when they stopped attending school classes. If the student participated in a verifiable, academically-related activity past the 60 percent point of the semester (check with the Student Financial Services Office for dates) and proof of this can be collected, then the Student Financial Services Office does not have to perform the calculation. The U. S. Department of Education has defined acceptable academically-related activities as class attendance, examinations or quizzes, tutorials, computer assisted instruction, academic advising or counseling, academic conferences, completing an academic assignment, paper, or project, or attending a school-assigned study group. Students may not provide documentation of these activities; documentation must come from either an instructor or in the case of academic advising, the office of Advisement and Mentoring Services.