Financial Aid FAQs

Eligibility Questions

Am I Eligible For Financial Aid?
You may be eligible if you meet the following minimum qualifications:

  • Are a U.S. Citizen or eligible Non-Citizen
  • Are admitted to a degree seeking program at STC
  • Have turned in documents requested by the Financial Aid Office
  • Are not in default on any prior student loan or do not owe a repayment on any Title IV financial aid;
  • Are enrolled in the required number of hours for whatever aid program is available
  • Are meeting Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress.

Are Non-Citizens eligible for Federal Financial Aid?
A Non-Citizen, who is a permanent resident, is eligible for financial aid. You should make sure that you have the proper documentation, such as, a resident alien card, because the FAFSA application requires that the number be listed. If you are on a temporary or student visa, you will not be eligible for federal student aid. Refer to the student eligibility criteria listed on the Free Applications for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

What determines whether or not I will receive financial aid?
The primary factor is financial need. Financial need is computed by determining your educational costs (tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and a personal allowance) minus your family contribution (based on federal and institutional formulas). The difference between these is the need for financial assistance.

Why does my award change each year?
At STC, eligibility for financial aid is based on federal and institutional estimates of your family's ability to contribute to the cost of education. A typical award includes grant, and work-study. Keep in mind that your award is likely to change each year for one or more of the following reasons:

  • the cost of education may rise;
  • your family's income will change;
  • the number of family members in college may change;
  • you forget to reapply for financial aid,
  • And/or some awards are on a first come first serve basis.

Does coming from a large family or having more than one student in college at the same time increase the amount of financial aid?
When there is more than one undergraduate family member in college at the same time, your family contribution is divided among the college students. So, if there were two children in college one year and only one the following year, 100% of the family contribution would be expected to be available for the remaining student.

Do I have to attend full-time to qualify for financial aid?
No, you may enroll on a part-time basis. However, any financial aid you may qualify for will be adjusted according to the number of hours you are enrolled.

Why can't you discuss my financial aid status with my spouse, parents, and outside agencies?
The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 limits access to educational records without express written consent. Outside agencies will have their own forms, which you may sign when they wish to access information about you.

FAFSA Questions

How do I apply for financial aid at STC?
The FAFSA application is available at: Should you need assistance completing the application, please visit any of our Student Financial Services locations.

What do I need to apply for Financial Aid?
You will need the following information to apply for financial aid:

  • FSA User ID
  • Social Security number & Date of Birth
  • Current income tax return for you and/ or your parent(s)/spouse.
  • W-2 forms
  • Other Financial information, such as: pensions, worker's compensation, child support received or paid, etc.

What is STC's school code?
The school code for South Texas College is: 031034.

Is there a deadline to apply for financial aid?
There is not a set deadline at South Texas College; however, you should know that the longer you wait to complete the application process, the less likely you are to receive additional aid. Also note If you apply late, your financial aid may not be available to pay registration on time. In this event late applicants may be asked to use their own resources to cover any charges. When in doubt, call or visit the financial aid office for assistance. More information can be found at

Do I have to apply every year?
Yes, a new FAFSA must be submitted every year.

When do I apply for financial aid?
Apply for financial aid as soon as your tax return is complete. Applying early enables you to participate in the first financial aid packaging run. Subsequent packaging runs may have less grant money available. When you submit a complete FAFSA, STC can determine your eligibility for Federal and State grants. More information on applying can be found at

What happens after I apply for Financial Aid?
If you mailed the FAFSA, you should receive a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail about four to six weeks from the date it was mailed. If we transmitted your FAFSA electronically, you should receive a Student Aid Acknowledgement statement in the mail two weeks after transmitting.

My SAR is not accurate. Do I need to correct it?
Students who are concerned with only STC receiving corrections can submit the SAR directly to the Financial Aid Office for correcting. Students who want corrections sent to schools besides STC (schools that are listed on the SAR) should process corrections through the Central Processor by mailing back their SAR, or contacting the Department of Education.

Work Study Questions

How do I apply for Work Study?
The Work Study Application form is available online or for pick up at any of the Student Information Centers located at all six campuses. After you fill it out turn it in to any of the three financial aid locations. Please note that you need to apply for Financial Aid in order to be considered eligible for work study.

Can I have two work-study jobs at the same time?
No, at South Texas College you can only have one work study job at a time.

How many hours can I work per week on the work-study program?
Nineteen hours per week is the maximum recommended for academic reasons. Nineteen hours a week will allow you to continuously work while enrolled in school. You are not allowed at any time to earn more than what was awarded to you on your award letter, and it is your responsibility not to exceed that award amount.

Can I change work-study jobs?
Yes. You can at any point in the academic year. It is recommended that you give your employer at least two weeks' notice.

What happens when I reach my award maximum?
Your department should notify you when you reach your award maximum. The department has the option of either continuing your assignment and paying you 100 percent from their departmental budget or ending your assignment altogether.

back to top